Rolls-Royce & VPower Group expand collaboration with order for MTU gas gensets
• Contract for delivery of over 200 MTU Series 4000 gas gensets
• Largest order for MTU gas gensets ever
• Gensets will be used globally in VPower projects
HONG KONG, CHINA
Rolls-Royce and VPower Group have strengthened their strategic relationship by signing a landmark deal for the supply of state-of-the-art, high-efficiency gas power generation equipment of the MTU brand.
According to the final agreement recently inked in Hong Kong, China, Rolls-Royce will supply over 200 MTU Series 4000 natural gas gensets with a total power output of 430 MW, starting October 2019. The fleet will be deployed to support VPower Group’s key business streams of LNG-to-power, flexible generation, distributed and other fast track power solutions globally.
Earnest Cheung, VPower Group, Chief Commercial Officer, said: “As a leader in decentralised power generation, we place great importance in product safety, efficiency and reliability. We are happy to strengthen our business cooperation with Rolls-Royce and look forward to stepping up our strategic relationship in the years to come.”
Andreas Schell, Rolls-Royce Power Systems, Chief Executive Officer, said: “We are pleased to take our long-term partnership with VPower Group to a whole new level by signing the largest single order for MTU gas gensets in our company history. This is another vote of confidence from a much-valued customer, and a demonstration of our growing success in the increasingly important decentralised power generation markets.”
The relationship between Rolls-Royce and VPower Group dates back to 2008 and has continued to grow over the years. Today, VPower Group is the world’s largest owner and operator of MTU power generation systems, with a wide range of applications in China and other countries. The ever-growing strategic partnership between Rolls-Royce and VPower Group demonstrates both companies’ commitment to providing the most efficient and reliable power generation solutions optimised to meet customer needs and to address the energy and environmental challenges faced by the world today and tomorrow.
Since 2014, VPower Group has been using MTU gas gensets from Rolls-Royce to strengthen its leadership in Myanmar’s fast track power segment. This has led to VPower’s recent winning of a mega sized LNG-to-power tender issued by Electric Power Generation Enterprise (EPGE), Ministry of Electricity and Energy of the Government of Myanmar. Together with China National Technology Import and Export Corporation (CNTIC), VPower Group’s long-term EPC partner as consortium party, the consortium will deliver the much-needed power supply to millions of households in Myanmar before the summer peaks of 2020 using MTU gensets running on clean gas fuel.
Read more about Rolls-Royce power generation based on medium-speed engines at www.rolls-royce.com/bergen
About Rolls-Royce Holdings plc
1. Rolls-Royce pioneers cutting-edge technologies that deliver clean, safe and competitive solutions to meet our planet’s vital power needs.
2. Rolls-Royce Power Systems is headquartered in Friedrichshafen in southern Germany and employs around 11,000 people. The product portfolio includes MTU-brand high-speed engines and propulsion systems for ships, power generation, heavy land, rail and defence vehicles and for the oil and gas industry. Under the MTU Onsite Energy brand, the company markets diesel and gas systems and battery containers for mission critical, standby and continuous power, combined generation of heat and power, and microgrids. Medium-speed engines from Bergen power ships and power generation applications.
3. Rolls-Royce has customers in more than 150 countries, comprising more than 400 airlines and leasing customers, 160 armed forces, 70 navies, and more than 5,000 power and nuclear customers.
4. Annual underlying revenue was £15 billion in 2018, around half of which came from the provision of aftermarket services.
5. In 2018, Rolls-Royce invested £1.4 billion on research and development. We also support a global network of 29 University Technology Centres, which position Rolls-Royce engineers at the forefront of scientific research.
6. The Group has a strong commitment to apprentice and graduate recruitment and to further developing employee skills.