New Dam for Thailand
The Thai Cabinet has approved the construction of a new hydro-electric powered dam in Kanchanaburi by the Ministry of Energy, expected an annual electrical production capacity of 90 million units.
The Prime Minister’s Office Spokesman Maj Gen Sansern Kaewkamnerd has revealed that the Cabinet’s meeting yesterday has approved the construction plan of the Ban Chan Dae hydro-electric powered dam in Kanchanaburi Province. The project was proposed by the Ministry of Energy and will be pursued by the Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand (EGAT).
The damn will be 110 meters long, have a width of 10 meters. Standing at 20 meters tall, the stone dam will utilize the water flow of Kwai Noi River released from Vajiralongkorn Dam located to the north, to produce 90 units of electricity each year starting from December 2019.
The dam will be constructed within a 3.54 billion baht budget allocated from 25 percent of EGAT’s revenues, while the remaining 75 percent will come from loans and bonds. The project will require no financial guarantee by the Ministry of Finance as EGAT is considered credible enough to shoulder loans.